Monday, May 14, 2012

Garden project update: the list gets smaller

This is just a short update on the status of some garden projects.  I have finally completed two items that have been on my annual project list for a couple of years- one is making a new compost bin, and the other is pruning the white clematis (Clematis ligusticifolia) that grows on an arbor and trellis on the back of my shop (see above).

In the photo at the top of the post, now you can actually see the arbor and trellis on the back of the shop- prior to pruning, the clematis engulfed the whole thing.  Soon, it will all leaf out and probably grow back thicker than before, but for now, I can wallow in a little sense of accomplishment.  In that same photo, my wife is taking a break from compost sifting and admiring her compost station (see below).

Anyway, here is the list from earlier in the year, and the following items I have now completed:

I was so happy to get this off my project list that I wrote a post about it, and coincidentally, completing this project fell on International Compost Awareness Week!
  • Prune the white clematis on the arbor behind the shop 
See photo at the top of the post.
  • Install a nest box camera inside the nuthatch box
Good thing I did this, because this is where the chickadees are nesting this year.  Click here to watch the live, streaming video from inside their box.  The eggs (7) should start hatching anytime now!
  • Move the apple tree to the north east corner of the vegetable garden so its gets more light and water.
In the photo below the apple tree (Honeycrisp, in case you were wondering) is now in front of the rain barrel on the left.  This location is next to the vegetable garden.
  • Moving the apple tree will require relocating the rain barrel and path, then a little re-landscaping in the new and former location
The photo below shows the re-aligned urbanite path to accommodate the apple tree and the slightly different location of the rain barrel.  It is a subtle change, but moving the path over a couple of feet really changed the feel of this little spot.  I like it.
The following items from the list are still pending.  Number 1 below is in the works, so watch for a blog post when I complete that project.
  1. Add a little fence or wall between the outdoor dining room and the hammock area. This is one of these problem areas, that I am always reworking. Maybe a little something in the way of hard-scaping will do the trick
  2. Install power out to the greenhouse. This has been on my list for a few years, whether I write it down or not.
  3. Add some more shrubs to the front of the house- I've been working on this for a couple of years and I think it is starting to come together.
  4. Replace urbanite in front of the greenhouse and on the side yard that has settled too low. Replace it with larger chunks. It became painfully obvious last year that these low spots were too annoying to live with (it turns out, it was easier than I thought it would be to ignore this!)
  5. Connect the urbanite path in the back all the way to the alley.
  6. Continue my insect collection- this has been so amazing and rewarding. 
There is a lot more to do, and there will certainly be some unanticipated projects, and that's fine.  It is good to have goals and it is also good to revisit them and gauge progress.  Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment