Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wyoming Master Gardeners Conference follow-up


Thanks to the Campbell County Master Gardeners and especially Lori Bates, Patsy Larson, Mary Ann Wilson, and Rich Kistler for inviting me to such a wonderful conference. 

I really enjoyed meeting so many Wyoming Master Gardeners and learning a lot about the progressive water conservation and sustainability efforts in the city of Gillette (in collaboration with the Campbell County Master Gardeners!).  

We enjoyed the trip and even got a chance to do some botanizing around Devils Tower, including seeing this bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) x Gambel's oak (Q. gambelii) hybrid, a local phenomenon.   Although bur and Gambel's oaks are geographically distinct now (their ranges don't even come close to overlapping), the hybridization is a likely result of some past sympatry.  

Here are some links to things I discussed in my talk:
Thanks again, and I'd love to have the opportunity to visit Wyoming and the master gardeners in the future, so keep me in mind for future talks or presentations- especially if it is during antelope season!

No comments:

Post a Comment